Constructing the right team is essential to achieving success. Each individual of the team should have a set of skills that distinguishes them apart from each other and unites them to form a strong team. Building effective teams can be the most challenging and yet most rewarding task.
I know what you’re thinking – there are a million ideas out there on how to develop your team. You’re right – and, to make it easy for you, we put a few of the most important ones here.
Identify the goals
The task of any team is to accomplish specific goals. Before you assemble your team, you need to lay out the task you want to achieve. After this you can find the specific skill sets you need to most effectively accomplish these goals.
Match the Goal with Individual Skill Sets
When building your team make sure you identify a pool of skills and traits that will best achieve the desired goals. While it is important to know each individual’s strengths, it is just as important to know their working style and how they work with others. Make sure that the team you build can still thrive and collaborate together.
Top Tips for Building the “Dream Team”
- Have patience – Take into account that not everyone on your team is necessarily at the same starting point. It is important to have patience as you mentor your team through-out their projects. You never know what challenges may arise.
- Have organization – This one is pretty straightforward. Have a plan in place and make sure to periodically check in on your team. For example, maintain a schedule to make sure everyone is able to meet their deadlines.
- Have clear communication – Be straightforward with your team and make sure you are clear in what your expectations are from the beginning.
- Know each individuals’ strengths – Each person on your team has their own area where they thrive the most. Make note of this and have projects that give each individual within your team a chance to utilize their talents.
- Know the personalities of each individual – Everyone has their own unique personality. It is crucial that even though teams are composed of a wide array of people that there is still a line of respectful communication.
Time to Start Assembling your Team
We have just given you some helpful tips to create your dream team. Now it’s your turn to start building effective teams for your company. Apply the tips here, and you can be confident that you are on track to creating your dream team.
Feel like you could be doing more? Or maybe you just want more in-depth assistance? Reach out to us and we help you find a solution.
Want to read up more about how you can improve your team? Here is another help resource to check-out!
Chapter 5, “The Power of Daily Leadership: Unlocking Stellar Team Performance and Sustaining Breakthrough Results through Powerful Daily Leadership Practices,” by Pete Winiarski and David Tweedt’s contribution to the book Lighting Growth by Justin Sachs